Thursday, May 23, 2013

MY ADVISEES


Wow what an academic year 2012-2013 has been for me!
Le, Yao, Rong, Selina, Xuefei, Nicole, and Dana all finished up during this period.

My advisees are the best group of people.
Mitsy got off to a rough start with her thesis project but then made it to the finish line in first place before all my other advisees.

Suji was so organized from day 1.  She had an awesome project and even exchanged several email messages with Schrum but then ended up with Koreans who did not watch much American reality tv.  She got to visit U. Conn where she will matriculate in the doctoral program with David Atkin and others as professors!
Ying is an awesome woman and had a great project with tons of social merit.  I spent a lot of time teaching her some part of hierarchical linear regression to conduct the analysis of her thesis. She is a quick learner! She did an amazing analysis.

Rain is always a breath of fresh air.  We worked like crazy taking a new approach to the analysis of data in her thesis and found many similarities in how couples in established relationships in China and the US deal with conflict.   We are doing a dating study based on body image!
Yi defended his thesis today.  His power point summary was awesome and he knew it.  He seemed very happy and confident today in spite of a few unexpected setbacks.  He got some very interesting results for collective face—his construct that he developed.  I think we can publish this one.  Yi finally gets what Communication Science is about! WUHUU!

Xun continues to amaze me with his ENTHUSIASM, strong sense of curiosity, and dizzying dedication to the pursuit of knowledge.  He learned to use and understand AMOS over a few days, learned hierarchical linear regression.  I asked him to write up the results of study 1 and he came back a few days later with the description and interpretation of the hierarchical linear regression results, moderator analysis, and slope analysis which he taught himself from several methods books in the library! He has not taken 901or 902 yet!  How to challenge him next—I know structural equation modeling!
Jackie is a special human being with such awesome talent and research smarts!! She and I have worked so hard this year on a number of projects as she makes her way to the defense of her dissertation proposal.  She is a meticulous scholar reading deeply into her projects and thinking options through with some real insight.  Her projects are always challenging and interesting.  I have received from her as much as I have given during the course of our scholarly sojourn.

(Xiaowen and Cathy I haven’t forgotten either of you.  Cathy helped on my facebook study and Xiaowen I only know you from class.)

 

No comments: